Just like the real thing, the Rosies’ volcano puts on an explosive show. (Friendly suggestion: you might like to try this one outside!)
What you'll need:
- Baking Soda (Make sure it's not baking powder.)
- A small plastic bottle
- A ‘volcano’ – either make your own, use a mound of dirt or build one in the sandpit.
1. Place some of the baking soda into your bottle.
2. Pour in some of the vinegar.
3. Watch as the reaction takes place!
What's the science?
The baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is a base; the vinegar (acetic acid) is an acid. Mixed together they form carbonic acid, which is very unstable; it instantly breaks apart into water and carbon dioxide, which creates all the fizzing!
NOTE: If you make your volcano in the sandpit, you can put some toy dinosaurs or farm animals on the side and watch them get covered in lava. For more authenticity (and mess!), add some red food colouring.